Saturday, May 2, 2015

So Why Families?

     By the title of this post, it might seem like I'm anti-families.  I'm not.  Just to make that clear.  In fact, I absolutely love families! Sure there are times where I just need to shut myself in my room to get away from my family, but I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who does that:)  This week, in my Family Relations class, we talked about many things that are tearing the family apart. Did you know that the average household size is 2.56 persons?  Did you know that people are putting children off to a later time in their lives, thus producing less children? Did you know that as of 2014, the employment rate of mothers with children under 6 was 64.2%? Did you know...did you know...DID. YOU. KNOW? But the fact of the matter is, whether you know or not, this is TRUE!!! And it's heartbreaking.  I'm not condemning anyone to an eternity of misery for living this way, if they do.  It's their choice how they want to live their lives. I just want to express the importance of families and what they mean to society.
     Being a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, we are very family-oriented.  "Adam fell that men might be; and men are, that they might have joy." (2 Nephi 2:25) The purpose of the fall was for Adam and Eve to have an eternal family.  The commandment we are given, starting with Adam and Eve, is to have families.  As part of The Family: A Proclamation to the World, it says, "family is central to the Creator's plan for the eternal destiny of His children." As the future generation, we take part in raising other future generations to become heirs to the Kingdom of God.  We want them to know the same happiness and joy we have felt in being a part of our own family.
   Whoever reads this, whether you are a Mormon or not, I encourage you to read The Family: A Proclamation to the World.  In it, you will find what the purpose of families should be, and I hope we will all take it and apply within our own homes!

Until we meet again:)
-Sarah
     

No comments:

Post a Comment