Saturday, May 9, 2015

It's Mothers Day!!

  In honor of the holiday, I decided to write a little bit about Mothers day and how special my mom is to me:) I absolutely love my mom!! Being the baby of the family, I have lived alone with my mom for many, many years.  Growing up with a single parent had it's hardships, but I honestly believe the Lord was watching over us and blessed us along the way. 
  Single parenting sucks.  I'm just gonna put that out there. And the unfortunate truth is that it is becoming a common part of society.
  Veering away from the single-parenting thing for a minute (don't worry! I'm coming back to that.)....There's a theory out there regarding the family, and that theory is called, family systems.  Kind of self-explanatory, right? You'd think so.  The idea behind this theory is that each person has a role they play.  In many cases, this "role" is being forgotten.  Mother or father, their role is to provide for and care for the children.  In The Family: A Proclamation to the World, it says, "Parents have a sacred duty to rear their children in love and righteousness...teach them to love and serve one another, observe commandments of God, and be law-abiding citizens wherever they live."  Whether you believe in God or not, I think we can all agree that parents are responsible for raising their children to be "law-abiding citizens" and to be respectful of one another.
  Coming back to the single-parent thing....There may be families who had a parent walk out on them--just up and leaving.  For whatever reason, the parents failed to fulfill their duty.  They didn't fulfill their "role."  They lost sight of what it was they were supposed to do in their family, whether it was to provide by earning the money, or to nurture by loving and caring for the children. 
  Before I head out, I want to share a quote from one of my favorite books growing up.  It's called Love You Forever by Robert Munsch: 
   "I'll love you forever,
    I'll like you for always,
    As long as I'm living,
    My Mommy you'll be."

Happy Mothers Day!!

Until next time:)
-Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment